Looking for a summer job?
We’re looking for Maker Corps Members to join our team, from roughly the beginning of June through the end of August. Positions are up to 40 hours/week. We’re looking for a summer-long commitment, but dates and times are somewhat flexible based on availability, so go ahead and apply even if you have to go back to school in the fall, or aren’t available on June 1! All Maker Corps positions are paid by the hour.
Maker Corps Members are responsible for facilitating experiences with visitors in the MAKESHOP exhibit and related off-site programming. They facilitate, make, play, create, discover, learn and grow with visitors while working with Teaching Artists to create a rich experience, and to make the Museum and its programming welcoming and accessible to all.
You might be an ideal candidate if:
- The following words/phrases get you pumped up: making, DIY, hands-on, tinkering, learning, building, prototyping, productive failure, testing, collaboration, teaching, sharing
- Working closely with people who have diverse skillsets and backgrounds sounds super cool
- You can appropriately and effectively communicate with many ages, abilities and dispositions – we’re talking adults, kids, administrators, teachers, visitors of all kinds, everybody and anybody who might come through our doors!
- Learning about different tools, materials and processes sounds like a terrific summer
- Learning, generally, makes you happy
- You have experience helping others understand how things work, or how to do something they weren’t sure they could do
- You’re comfortable saying, “I don’t know” and love to follow it up with, “But I want to find out!”
- You understand the importance of striking a balance between “we need a plan” and “let’s just do it!” (even if you haven’t quite found that balance yet)
- Pittsburgh – with all of its art, culture, technology, bridges, and food – sounds awesome
You are probably not an ideal candidate if:
- You think asking questions is a sign of weakness
- Sharing your ideas or taking suggestions makes you shudder
- Trying new things is unappealing or uninteresting to you
- You believe that everything you do has one – and only one – “right way”
- You have difficulty respecting people of different ages, ethnicities, genders, abilities, backgrounds, etc.
Still excited? Things all sound good to you? APPLY ONLINE NOW! Just pick “MAKESHOP at Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh” as a possible Host Site to work with.