Rookie of the Gear
Big League Debut
The 12-foot pitching machine created in MAKESHOP® this summer with visitors made its big-league debut from (slightly behind) the mound at PNC Park when the Pirates met the St. Louis Cardinals on Sunday, September 1!
MAKESHOP Rookie of the Gear Pitching Machine Debut at PNC Park from Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh on Vimeo.
- “Maker-Built Trebuchet Pitches a Strike at Pirates Game” in MAKE: Magazine, September 3, 2013
- “A Pirates Game First: Machine Tosses First Pitch” in Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, September 2, 2013
- “An Unlikely First Pitch” on KDKA-TV
- Pittsburgh Today Live
- “Taking the Mound, a Trebuchet!” in MAKE: Magazine, August 30, 2013
- Kid-inspired Gadget to Throw First Pitch at PNC Park in Pittsburgh Tribune Review, August 30, 2013
- “12-foot tall ‘pitcher’ to throw out first pitch at PNC Park”on WTAE-TV, August 29, 2013
- Miracle Leaguers Pitching Machine to Debut at PNC Park This Sunday on Upper St. Clair Patch, August 28, 2013
The pitching machine made its first public trial run, pitching water balloons, at the third annual Pittsburgh Mini Maker Faire on Sunday, August 18.
PNC Park Video
Pirate fans can see this video about the Rookie of the Gear project currently playing on the scoreboard at Pirate home games through September 22.
Many thanks to the video’s creative team: Advertising Agency: Gatesman+Dave; Creative Director: Dave Kwasnick; Art Director: Jeff Barton; Copywriters: Sam Panico, Dan Ayer; Sound Design & Music: Market Street Sound and Editing & Motion Graphics: Uppercut Studios.
Designs by Kids
Check out some of the pitching machine designs kids came up with at our booth outside of PNC Park and in MAKESHOP®: